PDA

View Full Version : Questions re Chicken Tractor

Sabbath
04-28-2009, 10:06 AM
So, this weekend I plan on embarking on the journey of building the Tractor/coop for the girls. I have a few questions -

1) I have 4 standards (two araucaunas, one orpington and one wynadotte), and would like to situate them over my raised beds (which I haven't built yet, but was planning on doing that at the same time). Now, for the issues of space in my yard, I will either be able to fit in (6)3x6 raised beds, or (4)4x8 beds. (I might be being too conservative with walking space, allowing for 3 feet between each bed. I also have the option of two more beds in another location, but the chickens wouldn't be allowed on them for city code issues because they would be in the front yard.). So, the question is, for the 4 ladies, would 3x6 be enough space, or should I go with the 4x8's?

2) I will also have some angora bunnies coming soon. I was planning on using the same design for a split hutch. Should I line the BOTTOM of the tractor with hardware cloth as well? All of the hutches I have ever had were wired on the bottom, but if they are going to be sitting on a raised bed, would it be okay for them to be straight on the dirt? I am just imagining all kinds of VM in their fur, and when I got to shear them I just kinda don't want to deal with all that much ;)

3) Does anyone have any good sources for crop rotation on raised beds with this kind of an application in mind?

4) Also, I was thinking about modifying these so that instead of having doors on the side, I would just be able to lift all or part of the 'roof' of the tractor. Does anyone forsee an issue with this that I am not thinking of?

Thank you so much! I can't wait to get really started here. This is the first time that we have been in a home that is really conducive to us settling right in and doing our thing. Once the purchase is finalized, we are going to start converting a lot of energy/heat/water components. We are in talks with someone on our first energy project being an urban roof mounted turbine! So excited! Thanks again!

Sabbath
05-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Well, I narrowed it down. I am going to do 3x8 beds, and so my chicken tractor will be the same. I am going to get started building here in about an hour. Wish me luck!

SimplyForties
05-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Good luck! I'm about to embark on this project myself so please post anything you learn!

Sabbath
05-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Chicken Tractor - DONE! Will post pics soon.

Sabbath
05-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Here! The last few blog posts are about the tractor. Just scroll a bit ;)

http://babydavies.blogspot.com/

Sabbath
05-03-2009, 09:02 PM
oh my goodness. I never thought I would love my chickens this much. I have a definite favorite. She is a cuddler. And she likes to perch on my hand and fall asleep. Le sigh. SO cute!!

SimplyForties
05-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Congratulations! It looks great. I think I'm going with a taller one also. I'm going to put them on all my beds (only the chicken one with doors) in an effort to ward off deer. We'll see. Thanks for posting your link!