PDA

View Full Version : Regarding a lawn

Sabbath
04-28-2009, 03:54 PM
I agree, and love the idea of not having much lawn. Most of mine will be tilled up here pretty soon, but I did still want to leave a small area something that at least resembles grass. Toddlers just bounce so much better off of a grassy lawn, then a rock or mulched one ;)

So, with that in mind, I actually would prefer some kind of really low growing ground cover, that I don't have to cut/trim/mow often or preferabbly at all, and that is low on the water requirements. Also, something that can handle hot, south facing, full sun spots.

Any thoughts on this? I was looking at some of the stepables plants, but I also don't want to have to bring in the big guns to yank up the existing grass, I would really just rather overseed the lawn. Thanks!

Garden Green
04-28-2009, 07:02 PM
You could go with a ground cover thyme but would need to research to see if it can handle the hot sun like that. There are a ton of ground covers but Phlox would probably be your best bet for a ground cover for a drier environment and it comes in a lot of different colors.

Sinfonian
04-29-2009, 02:12 AM
I'm sure this isn't what you're asking, but as a father of two young boys, my garden space is limited to a small primary area and the borders of my property. Most of my yard is and will remain grass for them to play on. That, with a park right behind us.

For ground cover, there are tons of options. Sorry I don't know names, I purposfully don't remember flowers. If I can't eat it, it just gets in the way, hehe. A Google search may help. Good luck!