PDA

View Full Version : It's a sunny day in Fleming Island, FL..

Elle
04-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm a military spouse to an active duty service member (14 + years) living here in Fleming Island, FL (south of Jacksonville). We border a several hundred acre nature preservation that neighbors the St. Johns River. While we live here in the 'suburbs' .. this community is one of those concepts of 'small town U.S.A. where all of your needs are within a small radius. We moved here with the military a year ago and out of all of the areas, this was the greatest for it's ability to keep commute low and have an existence in balance with nature. While it's frustrating to see development, I think it's one of the best done I've seen in awhile (previously worked in real estate).

We're so excited with the surge of interest in urban sustainability. I have always wanted to do this but didn't realize that there were like minded families out there in residential communities.. We have 2 school aged children that are immersed in the outdoors and in touch with nature, and it's a great learning experience for all of us to be aware of our effects on the original residents (the animals and other wildlife) that call our backyard 'home'.

Anyhow.. with the gardening aspect that we've just started.. I could use some advice and suggestions, being that we are leasing a home. We can't do anything over the top that is permanent. We started with a gated/fenced garden area that can be resodded before we move out (long term lease so this is years from now). I'm also looking at another area of the yard that is neglected mulched, landscape space that had a dead tree. It neighbors a gutter downspout that husband wants to convert to a rain collection site to help with watering (it sure would be very accessible to this side of the yard!)
If anyone has time to look at the photos on the blog, I have mid-way down some photos of the back and side yards.

The side yard that is mostly Saint Augustine, husband doesn't want to alter. The other side yard (that has the bird bath/trees in view) is all weeded halfway down near the pond and gets full sun. That is a possibility for raised beds once we see that everything else is taking off. We have a great relationship with our neighbors (who even have an expansive flower garden), so I may even be able to get them to help and we can share in what we grow.

One major thing to mention is the amount of wildlife that we have back here. Raccoons, armadillo, oppossum, deer at times (we do have a pond gator but he obviously wouldn't be interested in our garden) and concern over their getting into anything we plant.. just north of that area that I just described we call a 'bird sanctuary'. There's usually 15 or so cardinals, woodpeckers, finches, etc.. so I wouldn't want to put anything berry related or that may attract my little feathery friends - it's too close in proximity to their feeders.

Any suggestions?
www.ourvictorygarden.wordpress.com

Thanks so much for reading...!!

MoniDew
04-29-2009, 02:16 PM
WOW! You have such a descriptive way with words! What a pleasure to be immersed in them, envisioning your entire surroundings. While I am an amateur myself, there are many here who are able to give sound advice.

Your desire to maintain a balance between your own and the natural environment is commendable. I look forward to reading your insights as you gain them.

Garden Green
04-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Welcome to the forums. I checked out your blog and just love your little fenced in garden area! The stepping stones are a nice touch and the fence you've choosen gives it a very romantic look. You have a wonderful piece of property. Just beautiful!

I look forward to keeping up with your little garden.

gardengirl72
04-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Welcome, you have a lot to work with. You probably do need a fenced in area due to any wild life that you have around. Please keep us posted and ask away!

Elle
04-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks so much for the welcome!

The garden fencing/gate is from Home Depot. It's purchased in sections and can be configured so many ways and added to. It's in direct view outside our dining room windows, which is so nice! This was my 'Mother's Day' gift from husband... The area that we're tilling this weekend will just have standard fencing around it. The critters are pretty smart, though. We suspect a raccoon has been the culprit for our fallen 'Squirrel Proof' bird feeders. We found one this past week (again) dragged halfway across the yard.. LOL! We solved the issue with the 2nd one, so obviously we need to go back and secure this one (may even need to zip strip it between replenishing!)

Patti - I wanted to ask with your newspaper mulching, is there anything else that you would recommend go over top the newspaper. Cocoa shells - I don't think I can get access to them out here! We have regular mulch.. would that be alright to use? And do you want until *after the seedlings are established? .. because we have Saint Augustine grass down here (even with being tilled) it's inevitable that I will be pulling up new viney growth). Husband put a nice layer of garden soil after tilling, which has helped these first few weeks!

plantoneonme
05-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Welcome. You may also find container gardening to your liking as the plants can be moved with you if you need to pick up and go. Kim

gardengirl72
05-12-2009, 09:54 PM
You can use a thick layer of newspaper right away, before you plant anything this will keep the weeds down due to lack of sunlight. Plant your seedlings by cutting thru the newspaper, water deeply then surround with any kind of mulch you can get your hands on preferably organic and made out something sustainable, over 1 inch thick, then water again. Any weeds that grow from there will be very easy to pull out because they will be above the newspaper.