PDA

View Full Version : Organic ways of keeping crickets away?

Elle
04-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Up here in North Florida, we have little black crickers with orange or red stripes. (I couldn't figure out how to attach photo on here but there's one in my top post on my blog homepage - ourvictorygarden.wordpress.com ). Does anyone know what they specifically are? I've seen some much larger ones, so I know they grow fast! A few have been in the garden. They destroy the grass or hedges.. and when they take over, they do it in clumps (all working together like an ant hill almost). I've only seen a few but in the event they're a problem, how can I deter them?

Thanks in advance!!

Garden Green
05-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Looks like a Mormon Cricket which is kind of strange because I didn't know they were this far east. They are primarily in the western part of the country but I could be wrong.

Anyway, you can use diatomaceous earth to get them under control.

Elle
05-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks so much! I just looked up the mormon cricket on wiki and there are definitely similarities. They have grown VERY quickly and we've seen some that are upwards to a few inches larger than others... they do seem to 'swarm' or even appear like a carpet on certain shrubs/hedges in our front yard. (as in you think it's a piece of black trash laying there). They do not bite (trial and error on that one).. and I've been picking them up and throwing them in the pond when I see them. They're very destructive and have taken out an entire section of a hedge in our front yard.

Found a website that sells that product, but I'll look at a few local places, too.. to avoid shipping expense! I see they don't like obstacles so I may place some sheeting along the base of my garden fencing. (they also don't fly so that may deter them).

Garden Green
05-02-2009, 06:16 PM
You're welcome! I'm glad it helps.