PDA

View Full Version : New photos and questions about swiss chard and carrots

KalenaPlants
05-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Hey everyone! Click on the link below and it should take you to my Facebook page of mobile uploads of my new square foot garden. I started some seeds back in March and I've begun hardening off a few plants to transplant into my four 2'X5' beds.

I'm having trouble growing swiss chard inside. They get spiny and all fall over. Will I have better results when I plant the seeds outdoors?
Also, my carrots seem to be having the same issue. We'll see how it goes. Let me know if you can see the pictures. I've never attached a link to my FB page before. If there are issues, I'll try another way. Thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1889339&id=674458029#/photo.php?pid=1889340&id=674458029

Sabbath
05-02-2009, 08:51 PM
I can't see the pics. Did you make them available for everyone to view, or just your friends?

KalenaPlants
05-12-2009, 01:20 PM
So sorry for the delay! I was busy starting a blog. Patti and many people on this website gave me much of my inspiration for my new veggie garden. Here's the link for my new blog "Amira". Thanks guys and let me know what you think!

http://amirasblogberry.blogspot.com/

plantoneonme
05-12-2009, 09:23 PM
You are off to an awesome start! Kim

KalenaPlants
05-13-2009, 01:06 AM
You are off to an awesome start! Kim

Thanks Kim! I'll update once a week :)

swoop
05-27-2009, 11:37 PM
your veggies look like a great start - i also had problems with starting chard indoors in march - lost all of them - i found they did soooo much better (for me at least) when i planted the seeds outdoors - and after figuring that out i read that you can plant chard outdoors 2 to 4 weeks before the last frost - oh well a lesson learned so next year i will get it started early outdoors. i wish you the best in your efforts towards fitness - i too am struggling with weight issues.

KalenaPlants
05-31-2009, 03:49 AM
your veggies look like a great start - i also had problems with starting chard indoors in march - lost all of them - i found they did soooo much better (for me at least) when i planted the seeds outdoors - and after figuring that out i read that you can plant chard outdoors 2 to 4 weeks before the last frost - oh well a lesson learned so next year i will get it started early outdoors. i wish you the best in your efforts towards fitness - i too am struggling with weight issues.

You're right. All my swiss chard started inside has died. The three plants that I planted outdoors are going strong. However, we're getting into the heat of summer here in Atlanta, so I'm hoping I can harvest a small head of chard soon. How are your weight loss goals coming along? I've started a blog (check it out in the bloggers forum on this site) and soon I'll add my weight loss component into. Happy Gardening!! You can also find me on Twitter (KalenaTweets) and Facebook (Kalena Michele).

swoop
06-01-2009, 11:21 PM
well kalena my chard is doing muuuuch better than my weight :( actually my chard and weight are both growing really well. its 2 steps forward 3 steps back with my weight - i just started exercising again though - so wish me luck - a lot has to do with stress, bills, and recent cuts in my work hours - hopefully this is turning around because today i was hired at a different facility and i will be able to pay some bills - the veggies and chickens are my little piece of heaven that allow my thoughts escape from all those stresses. i will definately be visiting your blog. thanks for the info :)