PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas re: hiding an a/c unit

Sabbath
05-03-2009, 09:19 PM
So, I have this ugly air conditioner outside on the back patio. I need some ideas to cover it up! Throw anything at me!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/CSqd-g8ReW-VE27xUM8aqw?authkey=Gv1sRgCMaFlJOFnbGU-gE&feat=directlink

plantoneonme
05-03-2009, 09:30 PM
The main thing is you need to have very good airflow. I would place some nice white lattice on 3 sides and grow something pretty and vining.

riskybidnes
05-03-2009, 10:12 PM
I did a quick google search and found this. Hope it helps, it is kinda what plantoneonme had in mind.

http://naturehills.com/gardening/blogs/helpful_gardening_tips/archive/2008/02/13/want-to-hide-your-air-conditioner.aspx

onmiwei
05-04-2009, 02:43 PM
You can see mine from the road and I hate it. I decided I was going to hide it just a bit to see if it would blend in. Of course I chose plants that will take forever to accomplish that. I wanted it to be easy to get to for yearly servicing and my gas meter is right by it so it needs to be seen easily.

I got some of the black metal fencing that you can easily set up from Lowes and put it on the front and side areas. I then planted lavender at first but then didn't like it so I planted Azaleas in front of it. I bought tiny ones so it will be years before they are big enough to take away from the AC unit. I also put in a small tree (Purple Sand Cherry or something like that from Arbor Day Foundation) about 5 feet to the left of the unit so hopefully it will grow and shade the unit.

I thought about the lattice and something growing on it but we already had an issue with our AC where we had to get to it....they did something wrong when they built the house to the AC unit and it needed repaired. Then the gas meter is right there, lattice and some plants vining on it would have blocked it. I also wworried about air flow. So far it still looks bad....we shall see in a few years. I didn't want to totally hide it, just kind of bring people's eye to something pretty instead of the ugliness of the AC. I can always change it if it doesn't work out in a few years.

Sabbath
05-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Thankfully, ours is in the backyard. UNfortunately, it actually gets very little sun back there. I was thinking about trying a crossvine over a really wide trellis. I could leave a big 2 foot gap behind it and on either side of it. Hmmmm.

It's definately a bottom of the list project, but I might think on it some more if it won't take too much work to cover it.

onmiwei
05-04-2009, 04:02 PM
I have two very pretty Moonlight Climbing hydrangeas growing up my very shaded deck. They are very pretty and like the shade.