PDA

View Full Version : Garlic anyone

Yomolove
09-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Does anyone know the best way to go about planting garlic. I have some that has sprouted and I wanna give them the best chance possible. Winter is coming and I wanna get started. I would like to peak at them over the winter. Any suggestions.

plantoneonme
09-17-2008, 02:29 PM
I added a nice amount of compost to a corner of my raised bed and planted my bulbs. I then made sure to mark the corners and label so I don't dig them up in the spring by accident.

If you want to look at them in the winter I would wait until the green parts die off after a couple frosts and then mulch heavily with leaves. You will have to make sure to remove in early spring so the leaves don't smother the newly emerging plants.

Another thing you can do is put some in pots and as they grow over the winter, simply snip them off and use like you would garlic chives.

Kim

Yomolove
09-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Sorry. I was trying to run out ... so I typed my question very fast... dont know how garlic came out.:D

AbbeyLehman
09-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Still good info for garlic!! If done in pots inside, how to know when to harvest the bulbs?

plantoneonme
09-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Still good info for garlic!! If done in pots inside, how to know when to harvest the bulbs?

When I grow them indoors, I use the green tops much like chives. Bulbs are usually planted outside in the fall then harvested the next year. I've never kept them indoors long enough to get bulbs.

gardengirl72
09-21-2008, 05:37 PM
I will try that this year. Garlic has always been a failure for me. The 2009-2010 garden will be the one that pulls it off.

Cynthia
09-27-2008, 08:22 AM
Do you use kitchen garlic or are you buying gourmet / heirloom garlic? I have grown a gourmet variety that was very tasty - but since I only planted a few cloves, I only had a few heads in the spring.

October is garlic planting time down here - so I'll be planting mine next weekend.

Yomolove
09-27-2008, 11:55 AM
I plan to go to the local plant stand and see what they have for heirloom garlic... see if I could catch some sales.

RogueAPBT
09-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Here's a link showing how to plant hardneck garlic.

http://thedeliberateagrarian.blogspot.com/2006/10/how-i-plant-my-garlic.html

Cheryl

RedStateGreen
09-28-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm planting garlic right now, and I have ginger going too.

Re: ginger -- I just put it in a pot with some dirt. Getting it to sprout is the hard part, so you're way ahead of the game. It makes a pretty plant; if I think to do it I'll post some pics.

Yomolove
09-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Redstategreen, Sound great... Id love to see a demo video... pics are just as good :)

Sinfonian
09-30-2008, 03:29 AM
I'm planning on planting garlic for the first time. I have tons of space between my blueberry bushes (they will eventually need the space so I planted to give them it). I just hope that the acidic soil is ok for garlic and that they don't anti-companion with blueberries. My companion sites don't mention fruits to veggies. hehe.

Also, I'm going to have to research hard vs. soft neck. Heck I'll probably just plant whatever my brother planted last year and has tons extra. Boy does it take forever here. He planted in October and harvested in July! That's why they're not in my beds. I don't have the space to give them. So I'm taking a page from Patti's book. Plant where you have space! Make room and do edible landscaping, hehe.

Sinfonian
10-05-2008, 02:11 AM
I just planted some purple garlic that my brother harvested this summer. I planted it 4 inches apart with the hard nub down and the pointy end up about a half-inch down in rows six inches apart (if that makes sense). I got about 40 cloves planted (three largish heads) and there are pics on my blog posting for today.

I found out that garlic likes slightly acidic soil so covering it with beauty bark is fine. Whew. I was worried that even being close to my blueberry bushes would be bad for the garlic. No problem!

gardengirl72
10-05-2008, 06:49 PM
I should plant some garlic too. I use it in almost everything I cook. I have just had a tough time with it.

Garden Green
10-11-2008, 01:58 AM
If you aren't sure what kind you want to grow, check out this site. This guy has grown it all! He gives detailed information about most of the varities he has grown and sometimes tips on how to grow them. I think the coolest thing is that there are photo's of everything.

http://sev.lternet.edu/~jnekola/Heirloom/plantlist.htm

AbbeyLehman
10-11-2008, 05:04 AM
Wow, Garden Green, that's a great link! Thank you!

Garden Green
10-11-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm glad you like it! I've spent a good bit of time mulling over that site having a look at some of the tomato varities he has posted. It's nice not to go blindly into planting an heirloom varity. I think it's also nice that you get a parentage of your food.

Cynthia
11-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Cheryl, I enjoyed reading about that guy's big garlic patch - he is quite organized!

I am adding three raised beds to the garden and will be able to get all my garlic in once they are finished.

Garden Green
11-02-2008, 05:37 PM
I've put out some cloves from the grocery store in a container. This is my first year planting garlic so we'll see how this goes.

maricybele
11-03-2008, 02:20 AM
My first year growing garlic, they went to seed because I didn't know to cut the scapes and the bulbs stayed small. I multiplied the crop for this year but didn't get any good garlic. My garlic expert friend told me what I did wrong.

flatlander
11-22-2008, 04:31 PM
If it's not to late in your area to plant, try Chesnok Red (hardneck) or Inchelium Red (softneck). You'll never use the stuff from the grocery again!

Here's a decent link for garlic culture.

http://www.wegrowgarlic.com/

Garden Green
11-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Great website,thanks for the link!