PDA

View Full Version : A few updates

plantoneonme
05-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi everyone sorry to be gone for so long. I wanted to let you know that my spring garden is doing really well and we are able to get vegetables daily to eat. I put all my basement grown salad greens outside in the hoophouse and all are growing really well. I also planted lots of asian greens such as bok choi, pak choi, and micihili (sp?) cabbage which are now large enough to make a stir fry at least 2 times a week. The radishes love the hoophouse and in less than 1 month I am able to get a few small ones daily to add to the salads. My garlic is growing great and I am snipping off some of the leaves to add to meals for flavor. The potatoes I am growing in pots are doing well, even the one I thought I killed off when it got too cold is sending out new leaves. Also my peas are over a foot tall already so I hope they start putting out some pods soon.

The tomatoes and peppers are being hardened off for planting in a couple weeks and other warm loving plants such as cucumbers and squash were planted in fiber pots a few days ago...some are already popping up.

I have all the kids coming over on Saturday and their labor will be my Mother's Day gift. We borrowed a trailer from a friend and will be getting lots of compost for my new raised beds so those will hopefully be ready to go soon.

On the medical front, my husband's health is steadily declining and the doctors were unsuccessful in removing the polyp that is holding up his transplant. Tomorrow morning we will find out if he will be listed or not. Unfortunately, his coordinator hinted to me to be prepared for bad news. At this point I can only pray that John remain as healthy as possible for a long as possible. When his time comes, I only hope it will be peaceful. Right now he is still able to get around on his own and even finds time to putter around the house. Working around the house makes him very tired but he was never been one to sit around and do nothing. He is sleeping between 10-16 hours a day now, but we are thankful that he is still well enough to do things he loves to do. One dream of his has been to fly in a hot air balloon...well there was a rally (against the tax & spend stuff going on in the country) that we went to that was giving away balloon rides. He has finally gone up in a balloon and LOVED it!!! He also recently won 2 free golf games with cart to a local country club as was able to finish 13 of the 18 holes before becoming too tired. As you can see, he is not letting this get him too depressed.

As for me, I am working as many hours as I can while still trying to keep up with the gardening, grandkids and of course doctor's appointments. I will keep everyone updated as much as possible.

Kim

MoniDew
05-06-2009, 10:39 PM
thank you so much for the update. we've been thinking about you. My heart goes out to you right now, as you go through this uncertainty with your husband's health. I know many of us here will keep you in our hearts during this time.

Warlord
05-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Hey Kim, Just wanted to say happy Mothers Day and that I am still praying for both you and your husband. I haven't checked in for awhile what with all the work that needs to be done outside and all. I made a few attempts at constructing a hoop house. I see what you mean by husbands either being a help or hinderance. It seems as if I was thwarting my own efforts:mad:. I did plant some Broccolli, cauliflower and lettuce in what was to be a hoop house. I also planted some onions, garlic, potatoes and green beans. The rest of the veggies will be planted over the couple of weeks. My best to you and your husband. C-ya in the garden. Warren

Garden Green
05-10-2009, 02:15 AM
It's good to know that he is still making sure to live and get out there and do! Good luck with getting on the list, stay positive even in the light of the hint!