PDA

View Full Version : Planting asparagus in raised beds

wyogardener
05-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Does anyone have any experience growing asparagus in raised beds? I'm wondering how deep the bed needs to be. My raised beds are over a gravel base and I was going to plant asparagus crowns in one that is a foot deep. Is that deep enough or do I need to make it deeper? My crowns are on the way, so I need to get ready!

Sinfonian
05-09-2009, 12:40 AM
I don't have asparagus, but the folks that I know that do have pretty deep beds. I would say try for 8-10 inches, but maybe someone with experience can lend a hand. I wanted to put my 2 cents in since the crowns are in the mail...

Good luck!

plantoneonme
05-09-2009, 08:32 AM
All my garden beds are 10 inches deep, including the asparagus. The most important thing to remember when planting asparagus is to give them the richest soil you can when planting for the first time. Asparagus will thrive in rich organic soil. Kim

kinnisoj
05-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Just a couple thoughts for you..Ive been working on my asparagus patch for 3 years now and this year wow are they shooting up. StarkBros has their crowns on sale in early fall each year and I could not be happier with the quality. The spears comeing up after 2 years are as thick as my thumb and will grow 18" tall.
Also watch the seed section at your local ___-mart store. Around here it seems they always have asparagus seeds that nobody wants so they go on sale. I take the seeds and toss them around the bed as well as around the yard. You know next to a rock wall, under a tree,in the ditch out front, in the neighbors ditch....you get the idea. You will be amazed how much actully takes off and how much abuse this plant will take!
And when its time send the kids out a huntin.Its like easter...oh ya and the deer/elk/chickens/rabbits dont seem to like them much. Have fun J.

wyogardener
05-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks everyone! It sounds like I can just use one of my foot deep beds. And maybe I'll mix some extra compost in there before I plant. Yay! I'm so excited!