PDA

View Full Version : Water loving fruit/veg?

wyo-helpmeet
05-09-2009, 11:32 AM
I have a small bed that I can plant in, but it's right under the eaves & there aren't any gutters on the house. When it snows or rains, there is a LOT of run-off. I'm going to list my planned garden, and I'm hoping you can help me decide what can go in this sometimes waterlogged area (typically only a day or 2, though, of water). Within a few weeks, there shouldn't be much water as we don't get a lot of rain. In addition to the following I have in containers- 2 blueberry bushes & a grapevine. There are also some other grapevines & raspberry bushes under the eaves & they seem to thrive (we've been here less than a year). I''m also expecting my pair of elderberry bushes soon. Here's the list:

Tomatoes:

Yellow Pear
Amish Paste
Krim
Thessaloniki
Rhoades
Orange Banana
Jelly Bean
Black Cherry
Roma Paste
Cherokee Purple
Isis Candy
Black Moor
Tumbling Tom
Grape (3)
Beefsteak (2)
Ponderosa Sunrise (3)

Peppers:

Sweet Pepper Gourmet Mix (16)
Jalape

wyo-helpmeet
05-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Peppers:

Sweet Pepper Gourmet Mix (16)
Jalape

wyo-helpmeet
05-09-2009, 11:34 AM
For some reason it won't let me post the whole list, and you can see my 2nd post stays VERY short. Nevermind I guess :(

Maybe you can just let me know some water loving fruit & veg. THNX!

wyo-helpmeet
05-09-2009, 11:37 AM
trying this:

Tomatoes: Peppers:Cukes:Beans & Peas:Corn:Onions:Squash(luffa, pumpkin,zucch, etc):Brassica:Melons:Carrots:Stevia

Herbs:
Dill
Borage
Cilantro
Feverfew
Sage
Echinacea
Cumin
Sweet Basil
Lavender Lady
Moss Curled Parsley
Peppermint
Chamomile

blueberry, grape, elderberry, raspberry, plum, apricot (?),

kitsapFG
05-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Celery loves to be constantly moist. However, unless you get frequent rainfall you are most likely going to get only periodic deluges that may wash out anything you try to grow there (erosion from the run off). You might consider putting up just a section of rain gutter (over the garden bed area) to divert the big run off. Even better would be to put a rain barrel or two at the down spout area!

wyo-helpmeet
05-10-2009, 12:52 AM
Nevermind, thnx for your reply! :D