PDA

View Full Version : Wisteria help

kristim23
05-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Hi! 8 years ago I planted a Japanese Wisteria and last year it finally got its first bloom, but only one, and it was only about 2 in long:( It is growing against a trellis with a pergola above, is about 8 feet tall, and full of new leaces and tendrills every year, but only that one bloom. Does anyone have any suggestions? Not sure if I should be pruning, how far if at all to cut back in the fall, or if I should fertilize. Do they usually take this long? Is it possible that I have a dud? Thanks! Kristi

swoop
05-28-2009, 12:03 AM
we have a wisteria that we planted 18yrs ago - this year was the first year we got about 6 decent size blooms - from what i have read - they don't bloom until the plant is at least 15yrs old (which can be confusing if you don't know the age of the plant when you purchase it - we didn't) i also read that cutting the vine back hard will trigger it to produce blooms after it has reached 15yrs of age. we did cut ours back really hard this year because we were planning on replacing a fence that it was growing on and we had some blooms. our plant had become humongous - i almost wonder if its not cut back it puts all its energy into growing leaves/vines and not flowers ? also our blooms were very short lived - no where near as long lasting as the lilacs.