PDA

View Full Version : Growing asparagus seeds

KalenaPlants
05-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Has anyone here ever grown asparagus directly from seeds? If so, I would love some tips. Everywhere I look, they advise to grow from crowns. I bought the seeds, so I really want to plant them. How can I make sure my attempts are successful?

kinnisoj
05-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Growing asparagus from seed or from crowns so far for myself has been a no brainer.They seem to pretty much take care of them self so the only real diffrence I see is in harvest time. Couple years with crowns 3 years or so with seeds. I have tossed the seeds all around and Im still amazed to just see them pop up. Keep an eye on StarkBros web site they put them on sale in the fall and Ive never been dissapointed yet. Now if my Tomatoes were so easy....

plantoneonme
05-15-2009, 12:38 PM
I started some from seed for the first time this year. I used the winter sown method. I put 32 seeds into a milk jug filled 3" deep with a good soil (first I placed some drainage holes and cut a door). I then put them outside all winter. In the spring they came up all on their own.

See my blog for more information on winter sowing...I know this is too late this year but may help for next. Kim

KalenaPlants
05-17-2009, 09:02 PM
So should I have sown them in winter? I planted all of my seeds in a germination container that I got from lowes and I set them out on my sun porch (the weather is warm enough that they can germinate outside). I figured I could plant them in the ground as transplants in the winter months.