PDA

View Full Version : Stir fry

plantoneonme
05-15-2009, 09:39 PM
I had a great stir fry fresh from the garden tonight for dinner...I mean really fresh, like picked, washed and eaten within 1/2 hour of picking fresh.

I only had 1 large chicken breast (for the 2 of us) and knew that stir fry was the way to go. I chopped it up and marinated it in an asian vinagret salad dressing while I went to scope out the garden. I was pretty amazed at the variety of things I found so early in the year. Some things seemed like an odd choice, but worked out well in the stir fry.

I was able to pick some pak choi, bak choi, micihili cabbage, chives, oregano, garlic tops, spinach, 3 large spears of asparagus and then I added in the odd balls of rhubarb, 5 radishes, and a few leaves (not even a hint of a head yet) of broccoli and cauliflower, kale and kohlrabi. I was worried the odd balls would not taste good and was pleasantly surprised they worked out great.

The sauce was simply 1/4 cup low sodium soy, 3/4 cup water and a heaping tablespoon of cornstarch. The stir fry was served over rice. I cannot wait until even more veggies start coming in so we can eat them 3-4 times a week. Now to think up some more sauces :D Kim

MoniDew
05-16-2009, 08:04 PM
yummy!

this is the way I eat all the time! whatever is ripe, is dinner!

gardengirl72
05-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Seasonal cooking. Lots of the veggies you have are related like the cabbage and broccoli. And the Asian greens. I love that they're the 1st things up.

Computer Cowboy
06-24-2009, 07:45 AM
I had a great stir fry fresh from the garden tonight for dinner...I mean really fresh, like picked, washed and eaten within 1/2 hour of picking fresh.

I only had 1 large chicken breast (for the 2 of us) and knew that stir fry was the way to go. I chopped it up and marinated it in an asian vinagret salad dressing while I went to scope out the garden. I was pretty amazed at the variety of things I found so early in the year. Some things seemed like an odd choice, but worked out well in the stir fry.

I was able to pick some pak choi, bak choi, micihili cabbage, chives, oregano, garlic tops, spinach, 3 large spears of asparagus and then I added in the odd balls of rhubarb, 5 radishes, and a few leaves (not even a hint of a head yet) of broccoli and cauliflower, kale and kohlrabi. I was worried the odd balls would not taste good and was pleasantly surprised they worked out great.

The sauce was simply 1/4 cup low sodium soy, 3/4 cup water and a heaping tablespoon of cornstarch. The stir fry was served over rice. I cannot wait until even more veggies start coming in so we can eat them 3-4 times a week. Now to think up some more sauces :D Kim

We eat like that alot. It's a great way to cook when all you've got is a handful of this and a pinch of that. That's the reason Asians have always traditionally cooked that way. I make alot of different sauces but my favorite is a little chicken stock simmered with rice wine, agave juice, ginger, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, cayenne and crushed peanuts and thickened a bit with rice flour. Give that a try!