PDA

View Full Version : Cats using my garden for a litter box!

Renee717
05-18-2009, 01:02 AM
Help! I have 3 cats, and I don't want them using my veggie gardens for a litterbox. Do you have any easy ideas on how to keep them out???

Thank you so much for your help!

Renee

ecogirl
05-18-2009, 02:47 AM
http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Cats-From-Using-Your-Yard-As-a-Litterbox
I'm not 100% sure if this will work because I haven't tried it! But this is all I can find! ;)

birthblessed
05-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Plant forks.

vermmy35
05-21-2009, 06:55 PM
The best way live traps then you own the little brats hehe:D

kinnisoj
05-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Grandma sais moth balls thrown around but I must say a well placed BB works reel nice. After a bit they get the idea;).

vermmy35
05-23-2009, 11:44 AM
seriously, I did live trap a couple of stray cats or neighborhood cats and turned them over to the no kill animal shelter. They got a better home and my son could play in his sandbox with out uncovering the stinky treasure.:eek:

kinnisoj
05-25-2009, 08:13 AM
You know one of the other post said to plant forks! This got me thinking that's were KFC got those weird sporks. Some one must of mixed up a spoon in their fork raised bed and they cross polinated and now you have the hybred spork!!!! (i know what your thinking and dont worry my wife already called me a dork)

wyo-helpmeet
05-25-2009, 10:58 AM
If I cathc them in my yard, I spray them with a mix of vinegar & water. They HATE the smell of vinegar (learned this from animal control a few years ago when we had a stray dog that was bothering the kids & I). As for the fork idea, I've done something similar with chiken wire- cutting a strip about 6" wide, and burying it in the soil so that only an inch or so stuck out. I had to do this one when my own cats were laying in my window boxes.

plantoneonme
05-25-2009, 05:24 PM
You know one of the other post said to plant forks! This got me thinking that's were KFC got those weird sporks. Some one must of mixed up a spoon in their fork raised bed and they cross polinated and now you have the hybred spork!!!! (i know what your thinking and dont worry my wife already called me a dork)

HAHAHA!!! Thanks for the great laugh. Kim

Backyard Permaculture
05-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Instead of forks which will break down into who knows what unnatural compounds, how about using a table saw ( or have a friend who has a table saw) cut scrap wood into about a zillion 5/16 x 5/15 x 6 in square pieces, and then putting each one into a pencil sharpener to sharpen each end, then all over the place, stick one sharp end into the ground until only about an inch remains above ground. Maybe the cats will get the point!

Other possability, is go to your neighborhood box store, buy a bunch of regular mouse traps ( about 4 traps for $1.50) and set them all over the place in the garden. Make it snappy

Ron

wyo-helpmeet
05-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Instead of forks which will break down into who knows what unnatural compounds, how about using a table saw ( or have a friend who has a table saw) cut scrap wood into about a zillion 5/16 x 5/15 x 6 in square pieces, and then putting each one into a pencil sharpener to sharpen each end, then all over the place, stick one sharp end into the ground until only about an inch remains above ground. Maybe the cats will get the point!

Other possability, is go to your neighborhood box store, buy a bunch of regular mouse traps ( about 4 traps for $1.50) and set them all over the place in the garden. Make it snappy

Ron

I need to do that around my coop when I get my chickens. I have 2 cats that don't get the message they aren't welcome in my backyard!

birthblessed
08-20-2009, 05:04 PM
You can buy forks that are not plastic.

But mine were out there all summer and didn't break down into anything.

Then again my garden gave me nothing worth talking about so what was the point? LOL