PDA

View Full Version : Working on the Bunny Tractor!

RogueAPBT
09-18-2008, 01:31 AM
Edit: we have pictures! Scroll down to see the finished bunny tractor, and thanks for looking. :)

So, son Wyatt (11 y.o.) and I started working on the bunny tractor yesterday. We wanted to try out an idea for a bunny grazing tractor, but still wanted the new cage to fit the modular system, so we built what we decided to call a "grazing frame". It's basically the bottom half of one of Patti's 4x4 garden beds, so only as tall as one 2x10 board, it's portable, and on the bottom, instead of the small mesh, we put 2"x4" mesh dog fence. We wanted something to keep the bunny from digging out, and to keep dogs or raccoons from getting in, but we also wanted it to be as open as possible, to be softer on the feet, and to let the grass stand up (instead of being smashed down, like it does with smaller wire).

So far, we've only gotten the grazing frame built, but it seems like it will work. Next we'll build a standard 4x4 Garden Girl tractor, which will fit either the grazing frame or the (future) garden bed frames. Best of all, I think we will be able to build all this with supplies on hand, most of which was either given to us or salvaged from other peoples' cast-offs.

Today, I meant to work on the tractor, but Wyatt wanted to start digging a firepit. We spent most of the day digging, between chores and homeschooling. Back to the bunny tractor project on Friday, I hope!

Cheryl

Yomolove
09-18-2008, 07:39 AM
(No pics yet, sorry. I use a film camera and used the last of our film to shoot one of my son's homeschool projects a few days ago.)

So, son Wyatt (11 y.o.) and I started working on the bunny tractor yesterday. We wanted to try out an idea for a bunny grazing tractor, but still wanted the new cage to fit the modular system, so we built what we decided to call a "grazing frame". It's basically the bottom half of one of Patti's 4x4 garden beds, so only as tall as one 2x10 board, it's portable, and on the bottom, instead of the small mesh, we put 2"x4" mesh dog fence. We wanted something to keep the bunny from digging out, and to keep dogs or raccoons from getting in, but we also wanted it to be as open as possible, to be softer on the feet, and to let the grass stand up (instead of being smashed down, like it does with smaller wire).

So far, we've only gotten the grazing frame built, but it seems like it will work. Next we'll build a standard 4x4 Garden Girl tractor, which will fit either the grazing frame or the (future) garden bed frames. Best of all, I think we will be able to build all this with supplies on hand, most of which was either given to us or salvaged from other peoples' cast-offs.

Today, I meant to work on the tractor, but Wyatt wanted to start digging a firepit. We spent most of the day digging, between chores and homeschooling. Back to the bunny tractor project on Friday, I hope!

Cheryl

Cant wait to see what you come up with. I am looking to get some bunnies for the children also. I need to secure some points on the land before I get them. I want them roaming and happy.

AbbeyLehman
09-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Wow, this thread sounds just like us, only in about 4 months (minus snow!!)....Anxiously awaiting updates & pictures!!

RogueAPBT
09-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the responses! Well, my schedule got all messed up this week. I ended up staying home yesterday, waiting on a client, who called me after her appt to say she couldn't make it until today (is there a "going mental" smiley?). So, I ended up working on the bunny tractor yesterday.

I used all scraps, so I had a lot of 1x2 wood, which I used for the frame, some 1x4 wood I used for the runners/straps to tie the frames together, then I had a lot of 1" chicken wire. In retrospect, I can't recommend the chicken wire for a small project like this. I guess it wasn't too bad, but cutting around the door was a pain, then I ended up putting extra wood over all the cut edges of wire, since that seemed the only way to keep animals and people from slicing themselves up on all the sharp points. At the end of the day, the chicken wire did the job, but I won't use it again for the tractors. The 1x2s worked fine for the frame, just being careful with tacking on the wire, and always predrilling screw holes to prevent splitting. When it was all put together, it turned out quite strong and still very lightweight.

I'll get some film as soon as I can get some place where it's not ridiculously overpriced, and get some pics posted here. Thanks to Patti for a great project design!

Cheryl

gardengirl72
09-21-2008, 07:38 PM
I can't wait for pics!

RogueAPBT
09-24-2008, 12:50 AM
Let's see if this works...
http://www.gardengirltv.com/messageboard/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=57

http://www.gardengirltv.com/messageboard/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=56

gardengirl72
09-24-2008, 08:31 AM
I am super impressed! I love the roof design, and the catbox/nestbox. It is great. When do the animals move in?

RogueAPBT
09-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the compliments, Patti, and for sharing your tractor plans! The bunny moved in yesterday, and seems to be enjoying himself. We added a water bottle and pellet feeder, so he's all set. He doesn't seem too impressed with the nest box, but we'll see if he warms up to it.

Cheryl

gardengirl72
09-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Was it a new or used nest box? I have theory that they only use the nest box when they need to. Does he hang out on top of it a lot, and does he have direct access to the soil?

RogueAPBT
09-27-2008, 11:56 PM
Patti,

It was a used cat litter box, actually, lol, but had been bleached/cleaned before storing, and had been in storage for over a year, then cleaned again before recycling it as a bunny nest box. Being a buck, he doesn't need a nest box, but I have caught him in there napping, so I guess it worked.

Funny you asked about him getting on top of it, because I saw him doing that today. It was a bit of a jump and scramble, but he got up there...might give him a ramp so he doesn't hurt himself climbing the wire like that.

He is on the grass, but there is 2"x4" mesh dog/horse fencing on the bottom of the frame, so he can't dig out. I just pushed the wire down and slid the frame back and forth a few times, to make the wire work down deep into the grass. That way, the footing is pretty cushy on his feet, he can graze and scratch a bit, but he's safely inside, too. When we get the raised beds going, then he'll have his chance to dig in the dirt, which he loves, of course.

Cheryl

gardengirl72
09-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Excellent implementation as well.

RogueAPBT
10-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks, Patti!

Thought I should give an update on how the grazing frame worked out. So far, we've had no problems at all with the large wire on the bottom of the frame. It doesn't seem to bother the bunny, it keeps him from digging out, and we've had no incidents with a foot getting caught or anything like that. I've been moving him once a week, and that seems about the right amount of time for him to graze that 4x4 area, and before the urine has a chance to do permanent damage to the grass there.

Here's how I move the tractor:
1) Open the door of the tractor, rake up the chaff from the old hay, and toss that aside, close the door.
2) Make sure the bunny is in his nest box, up off the wire. He's got the routine down, so when he sees I'm picking up the frame, he goes right for the nest box.
3) Pick up the leading side of the tractor by putting my hands under the grazing frame, then I drag it to a new spot. If the bunny poo tries to hitch a ride, then I have to "walk" it a little to get it over that, but the frame and tractor are easy enough for one person to move.
4) Once we've hit a clean spot, I set it down, then press down with a foot on the frame, and my hands on the tractor/cage at each corner, to make sure the frame is set down tight to the ground. I also open the door again and press the wire down into the grass by hand, if there are any low spots on the ground.

That's it! The bunny hops down and starts grazing. He really seems to like this setup, and my son is happy that the cage cleaning job is no more.

Cheryl

plantoneonme
10-09-2008, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the update Cheryl. Next year I am going to make a pig tractor, as in guinea pig lol. I won't need to make mine as large but am concerned about her safety so knowing the wire on the bottom has not been a problem is helpful. Kim

crazy4yarnpamm
10-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Hi, how are you guys seeing the pictures on here? I was trying to find the pictures of the bunny tractor but they are not showing up?
Thanks
Pamm

crazy4yarnpamm
10-17-2008, 01:15 AM
hi i restarted my computer and was able to see them. Wow they are great!!!!

RogueAPBT
10-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Kim, I can't wait to see your "pig" tractor! I briefly entertained the idea of having a pair of guinea pigs for rotating after the bunny, but I don't think our climate would suit them, since they're made for a warmer and dryer climate.

Pam, glad you were able to see the pics! Thanks for the complement. :) Sorry I'm a little late responding, but it's been busy here, and computer time is one of the first things to go. Patti has some great step-by-step videos for making the tractor. Welcome to the forum!

Cheryl

plantoneonme
10-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Kim, I can't wait to see your "pig" tractor! I briefly entertained the idea of having a pair of guinea pigs for rotating after the bunny, but I don't think our climate would suit them, since they're made for a warmer and dryer climate.

Pam, glad you were able to see the pics! Thanks for the complement. :) Sorry I'm a little late responding, but it's been busy here, and computer time is one of the first things to go. Patti has some great step-by-step videos for making the tractor. Welcome to the forum!

Cheryl

She will be able to live outside in the warmer times of the year but I keep her in a cage in the basement now and will continue to do so next year. If it works out good I may get her a roommate. I'm going to make the pig tractor pretty much like Patti's chicken tractor except smaller. It will have a protected top and a nesting box for her to sleep in.

plantoneonme
10-27-2008, 08:09 AM
I guess I won't be making our pig tractor next spring as my sweet little guinea pig Kara passed away yesterday. I know she was at least 4 years old since I got her as a rescue but I still thought she would be around a litttle longer. Kim

Sinfonian
10-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Sorry to hear that Kim. At least it was well loved for the last 4 years. Great work getting it from a rescue shelter.

PJJ
10-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Kim,

I'm so sorry to hear about your little Kara. I know how attached we can get to the little guys. We've had several of them over the last 25 years. They are sweet, wonderful pets. It's a shame they don't have a longer life span. You're in my thoughts:)

Penny

RogueAPBT
10-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Kim, sorry to hear about Kara. :(

Cheryl

herb girl
10-29-2008, 04:49 PM
I am wondering how many rabbits this could support?
We want to do meat rabbits next spring and I'm wondering how I could modify it
for two does and their babies (as they come)

Thanks for sharing this,.. really incredible. You should post pics over on homesteading today. Their rabbit forum would love it.