PDA

View Full Version : Cuddling chicks?

alittletouched
05-25-2009, 01:34 PM
I have embarked on the quest of owning chickens. I have four chicks of varying ages. I have tried to get them used to me without handling them too much, but they don't seem to want it and it hasn't gotten any better. They hate being touched and they get rustled by my presence, no matter how much time I spend with them. Is this normal? Is there something I should have done or should be doing to encourage a mutual relationship? Or should I just accept that chickens are this way and that while I may talk to them, own them, care for them, and enjoy their eggs, that they just won't ever like being pet or too nearby me? This is my first time, so please be gentle!

kinnisoj
05-25-2009, 05:02 PM
One of the things that I did more for the kids than the chicks was when it was feed time myself and whatever kid happend to be their would sit down in the pen with the chick food and make them come to us. Hold it in your hand and they will come around. As with any jumpy animal move slow be calm and give it time.
The breed also has alot to with it and Im sure Fred could fill you in on that. But if you get a chance try the Buff Orpington. They are very loving, great egg layers so far and the roosters are very easy going.

swoop
05-28-2009, 12:59 AM
i always call the "girls" when it's time to put out food. i grab a chair and get comfy and hand feed. i must also say my 2 buff orps, 2 cochins, and 1 silver laced wyandotte are absolutely so sweet they will let you pick them up - scratch under their chests and pet them. my 3 easter-eggers are friendly but shy about being handled - 2 gold laced wyandottes totally chicken (pun intended) as if i was going to have them for dinner sheesh! it's funny that the silver laced is friendly and the gold laced aren't go figure. all of them do come running when i call which my family and neighbors think is hilarious - what can i tell ya we're a bunch of city slickers who are easily amused::D i would definitely suggest you find a comfortable chair relax and hand-feed especially when they are hungry - call them for feeding - call to them when you are opening the coop so as not to startle them as well. also just curious - what kind of chickens do you have? good luck

Aspen
05-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Hand feeding will coax them. They will start sitting on your hand or arm while they eat. It can be a slow process. My first chicks warmed up quickly, but our currrent chicks are more reserved. I can still cuddle my big girls, but I don't think this group will be snugglers.

Fred's Fine Fowl
05-28-2009, 10:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDAsa5BOIFw

Hi, I'm sorry I didn't post sooner, I was out of state... "have camera, will travel"

The video link above starts off with taming chickens with feed... the rest is actually about feed, so not entirely dedicated to "taming" your chickens...

You may think it's neat to "cuddle" your chickens... just a word to the wise here... baby chicks are easy to handle (day old for starters), they fall asleep in your hands, cock their heads to look at your face (chicks can remember up to 100 different people/chickens on average)...

If you have your chicks and want to fully acclimate them to people and being handled, then hold them often, carry them around with you and allow them to get feed from your hand. Routine is key, same time every day works best. Never make a grab for your favorite bird, always keep movements smooth and deliberate.

Have an older bird that wasn't necessarily hand raised? I suggest that you collect that bird from it's perch just as night sets in... hold it while you check on feed and water, or just keep up a nutty conversation with all the birds... you will notice all the others looking carefully at the bird you are holding and how things are going.. they are also making up their minds as to weather this could be an "ok" experience? Never release a bird that's freaking out, until it's calmed down, or it will think it has escaped, rather than released unharmed. Each handling session should end quietly.

People are goofy! That's why chickens don't understand them and are apt to freak out about being handled. I have noticed that people like to pick up a chicken and pat it on the head. Do me a favor, pat yourself on the head, give yourself a couple of good ones.. like it? Chickens go for the top of their heads when punishing, correcting, or mating... so, why would you pat a chicken as a sign of affection? Instead of patting, run your fingers under the beak, lightly smooth down the feathers on the sides of the chickens head. This is what chickens which are close and bonded do. They make light pecks at the beak, and never on the top or back of the head.

Chickens will adapt to any routine and it's up to you to make your interactions as low stress as possible. Slow, steady, talking about the weather... or some other nonsense so they can hear your voice.

In closing, I warn you, you may indeed get what you are asking for! So you have a pile of cute chicks and you do all the necessary things to bond with them... they line up in puffy rows on your lap, arm and shoulders while you read and sip your cappuccino mocha latte super grande! Now, let's fast forward to the 5-7 pound birds that now eye your shoulders while you are talking with a friend.. then they flutter up to land on you! Or, you want some peace and quiet on your porch... you hear the chicken stampede across the wooden boards as they all want to use you as a perch. Let's not forget the contribution they may be willing to make while enjoying your warmth. Maybe "cuddling" isn't such a grand idea after all?

Wishing you the very best!

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/HTCSWEOD

SimplyForties
06-02-2009, 09:44 AM
:D lol - good food for thought Fred! I want my chickens to be calm enough around me that I can catch them without too much trouble. I don't necessarily want them dogging my every step and sitting on me every time I stop moving.

I'm working on that!

alittletouched
06-09-2009, 10:14 AM
That's a very awesome reply, Fred! Thank you soooooo much! I guess I'm just most concerned that I will have to chase them around to put them back in the tractor in the evenings and so on. I know rationally that chickens have their own instincts, but I worry I'll screw it up!

alittletouched
06-09-2009, 10:15 AM
PS - I have 2 Marans and 2 Ameracaunas. They are gorgeous! Growing so big, so fast!