PDA

View Full Version : Greeings from Birmingham, AL

miaken
05-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Hello,
My name is Mia McDonald and I am new to the gardening family and I am very thrilled. I have planted a varity of items tomatoes, sweet potatoes, bell peppers (red, green & yellow), sweet peppers, cabbage, basil, cilantro, squash, zucchini, eggplant, and oregano.

I have a ton of questions, my garden is a 8ft x 4ft garden with all the above items...
1. have i over stuffed my garden?
2. I was told recently that tomotoes and sweet potatoes are not to be planted together is that true?
3. my basil looks to be dieing...the leaves are turning brown yellow on the bottom leaves and everyother leaf on top are turning brown. I have cut the top part I hope it comes back. I wonder if the browning is coming from a few things.. here in birmingham we have gotton a ton of rain I wonder if its too much for the basil, and if so maybe my soil is not draining well enough.
4. how do i get rid of bug that are starting to eat on the leaves of my plants?
5. how do i get rid of sluggs?
6. I have seen holes in the garden that looks like they enter through one hole and come out another :confused: not too sure what that is??? not to sure if you can help either :)

But for the most part I am really excited about this and hope it gives up plenty of veggies. if all i get is one tomoatoe I'm good. LOL

see my pics attached86

ecogirl
05-27-2009, 06:17 AM
Welcome to the community!

plantoneonme
05-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Hello,
My name is Mia McDonald and I am new to the gardening family and I am very thrilled. I have planted a varity of items tomatoes, sweet potatoes, bell peppers (red, green & yellow), sweet peppers, cabbage, basil, cilantro, squash, zucchini, eggplant, and oregano.

I have a ton of questions, my garden is a 8ft x 4ft garden with all the above items...
1. have i over stuffed my garden?
2. I was told recently that tomotoes and sweet potatoes are not to be planted together is that true?
3. my basil looks to be dieing...the leaves are turning brown yellow on the bottom leaves and everyother leaf on top are turning brown. I have cut the top part I hope it comes back. I wonder if the browning is coming from a few things.. here in birmingham we have gotton a ton of rain I wonder if its too much for the basil, and if so maybe my soil is not draining well enough.
4. how do i get rid of bug that are starting to eat on the leaves of my plants?
5. how do i get rid of sluggs?
6. I have seen holes in the garden that looks like they enter through one hole and come out another :confused: not too sure what that is??? not to sure if you can help either :)

But for the most part I am really excited about this and hope it gives up plenty of veggies. if all i get is one tomoatoe I'm good. LOL

see my pics attached86

Welcome, I will try to answer a few of your questions...
1. You have packed quite a few things in your small area. That said I tend to do the same. As things become very crowded, I will pull out plants that are pretty much done for the season to allow the others to grow larger. I cannot tell from the picture how many of each item you are growing so am not sure exactly how crowded it will get. The only one you may have a problem with is the zucchini taking up way more space than you think it will. Mine take up about 3 sq ft.

2. The problem with tomatoes and potatoes together is that they both get the same pest problems. Also potatoes like to be planted really deep with additional soil added on top to promote more potato growth. If you look at this picture from my blog, you will see how I provide for the deeper growth of the potatoes. I first plant them as far down to the bottom of my raised bed as I can and then add the box. I fill the box until it is to the top with soil and then let the potatoes finish. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_oNpU6Mrp02c/Se0NPLSkRjI/AAAAAAAAAH4/C7p0yB50Ch4/s1600-h/DSCI0255.JPG I am also growin some in large pots to see what kind of harvest I will be able to get...so far it is looking very promising.
3. Not sure about the basil, may be too wet. Did you harden them off before placing in the garden. Your sun may also be a little too much for them. Since your garden is rather crowded, I would suggest digging them out and putting them into their own pots. This is how I grow a lot of herbs. It works out very well and leaves room in my raised beds for other plants. You could also control the sunlight and moisture better until you find out what is the problem with your basil.
4. It depends on the bugs. Some I squish with my fingers, some I pick off and drop into boiling water. I have never used it but a lot of people on her, Patti included, use DE or diamatous earth as an organic solution.
5. As for slugs, you could place a thin line of copper metal around the entire edge of the raised bed. The slugs cannot pass over copper and will die. Or you can bait them with beer in another area of your yard. Place a shallow dish of beer outside, the slugs will climb inside and drown.
6. Not sure what you mean by the holes, are you sure they are not night crawlers? Try to dig around a few of the holes to see if you find worms or another bug.

Well hope that is a little help. Kim

gardengirl72
06-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself Kim. You can also put crushed eggshells around the perimeter of the raised bed to deter slugs. Observe how many lady bugs you have. If you don't see any you may need to get some.
Don't plant potatoes with tomatoes or squash. Don't plant beans and onions together. Don't plant broccoli and tomatoes together. Don't plant carrots and dill together. Also check out squarefootgardening.com (http://www.http://www.gardengirltv.com/organic_gardening_insect_control.html#verticalgard ening) for more info on maximizing your growing space.