PDA

View Full Version : strawberries vs bugs

scroller99
05-27-2009, 06:46 PM
I have been all over looking for an answer to keeping the sour bugs from eating my strawberries? I have spayed with vinegar and today I have propped all the half ripe beeies to keep them off the ground in hopes that they will not destroy any more, does anyone have any ideas? it is a raised bed and I built a pyramid to plant them in, I truly am at wits end. thanks Howard

mariaclarke
05-31-2009, 08:52 PM
I wish I could help you I was searching for the same answer it seems at night is when this happens and only the ones starting to get ripe I put down Diotamacios Earth and safer brand bug spray for veges so we will see tonight On some I used a piece of row cover for a barrier against the ground I will see tomorrow if anything helped. some people say it could be slugs or mealybugs ??? good luck hopefully someone can help us !!!!
Maria

flatlander
06-01-2009, 10:06 AM
You didn't say whether you have any mulch down or not. I have better luck keeping the sow bugs at bay if i have a 2-3 inch layer of straw down which keeps the berries off the soil. It's not 100% effective, but the damage is minimal. If they're on the ground, the bugs usually get them before I do.

mariaclarke
06-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks I think you are right its the sow bug I added more mulch and some Diatomasios earth which dries them up only 1 strawberry was eaten this morning. the garden girl talks about using that also.thanks!!!