PDA

View Full Version : New pests every day!

SmottPlot
06-01-2009, 07:08 PM
I can see why people go chemical crazy - I've never seen some of these bugs in my life!

As of today I have rotting cucumbers and squash, cabbage loopers on cabbage and broc (think I took care of them), blossom drop on some tomatoes (that seems to have gotten a little better) little tiny critters on my beans, and some not very healthy looking tomato leaves on my patio plant.

I have in my possession insecticidal soap, Neem oil, and D-earth. Just not always sure were to use them :)

If anyone has any advice please share!

http://www.thesmottplot.com/archives/37

Thanks!

flatlander
06-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Lets start with the easy one. Blossom end rot isn't a bug problem. Most likely it's irregular watering. I looked at your picture of the tomato leaves and i kinda think thats not unusual for a tomato. If those are the bottom leaves, you probably have some fungus from water splashing up from the soil. Try mulching the plants and try to keep the leaves dry, ie water by drip, etc.

One of the pictures looks like an infestation of aphids. You can get rid of those with a stream of water.

You probably have a crop of squash borers. those are pretty nasty once they get established. If they're in your vines already, you're probably going to lose those plants. For squash bugs, look for them when there immature and squish them with your thumb...they kinda look like little spiders at that stage.

Hang in there.

SimplyForties
06-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Boy, that's tough. Our gardens always start with so much promise, it's tough to see the bugs start to win the battle! Hang in there!