PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not to buy

leydaleon
06-02-2009, 12:27 AM
We cleaned our garden last week. FINALLY! Is clean like baby butt! lol It took us two days! IT was horrible... BUT, I brought my camera to take pictures. And it rained and got wet... I LOST IT! ARGH! Now I don't have a camera to take pics!

My second set of seedlings are coming well. Lets see if they survive, but at their pace I will be harvesting in December! I wonder if I should buy mature plants already! It will be dissapointing to wait for the seedlings to grow and then don't harvest. :( Don't know what to do. I confess I am confused! :(

To buy or not to buy that's the question...

I might plant some bigger plants from my first set of seedlings but the rest I might buy big ones and wait for my seedlings to grow before transplanting.
I will do it this week before going on bussiness travel. I know my DH can take care of all the babies with no problem! :)

SimplyForties
06-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Good luck with your garden! How about buying bigger plants and planting them both. Then by the time the bigger ones are done, the little ones will be producing. Do you have a long enough growing season where you are to sustain that?

leydaleon
06-02-2009, 08:40 PM
well, we usually get our first snow by the end of october. Is that enough?

SimplyForties
06-02-2009, 08:43 PM
I would think so. It would be worth trying anyway! :)

Maryann
06-06-2009, 12:56 AM
I started seedlings indoors but also planted the 6 packs of certain plants. I now have set my 3rd round going in the lettuce and spinach area. I will try and push for a fourth as I have more openings. I have a very short season so I am trying to make the most of it.

SimplyForties
06-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Wow, that's a high production garden! Good luck.

Maryann
06-23-2009, 02:41 PM
I have been trying to follow (sort of) the square foot gardening. Thankfully I listened when it came to crazy things like squash (although I want to get some winter squash going if its not too late.) I will be going into town town today (I live away from ... well...) I want to look into and possibly get materials for hoop coverings so I can extend my season more. This is my first year and I am thankful for the raised beds as this part of the valley was the bottom of a lake (what pretty rocks we grow) I had to retire waaay to early and this keeps me busy!:D and happy. Now to figure out what to do when the weather changes:confused:

gardengirl72
06-23-2009, 05:58 PM
I tend to buy plants that I've never grown before and experiment. I start the plants that I grow year after year. Hope you can post some picks soon.