PDA

View Full Version : Worms trying to exscape!

Blossome
06-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Okay, what am I doing wrong now. I opened the bin today after throwing some salad mix in this past weekend and I'm greeted by a whole lot of worms trying to get out. They were fine a few days ago. Did I put to much food in. I put them on the back porch do to little flies starting. I watered it to. Any help is appreciated.

N-TEXgardenLGS
06-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Hey Blossome,

I hope this helps.

I started a bin about 4 months ago and I had the same problem until I realized it was too wet. The are very picky "worms" are. Let it dry ...Just A Little! and they will go back down into the bedding. Until then just take them off the walls and put them back on the bedding.

You said something about flies. Boy did I have that problem. If you have flies you have a fight on your hands. When you notice flies in and around your bin take it outside, then take the cover off and leave for a little while. Then cover again and bring back in. Don't leave out long, they could cook. I find in Texas 30 minutes to an hour in the shade is all I dare leave them.

Bedding is key. I found that 5 to 6 inches of bedding is good. Take newspapers and tear them into 1" strips and mist them until they are just damp. (Check them for a few days because newspaper takes quite a bit of water but you don't want to have too much so misting for a few days to keep it consistent is better than soaking it) Build it up to at least 5 to 6 inches or more if you want When you feed your worms just move the bedding aside, place food on top of dirt, then snuggle the bedding back over making sure that it goes all the way to the edges.

Be patient, it takes days or weeks to get all the flies gone.
Oh, you will have to make sure your kitchen has no food out, especially bananas. Move plants away from bin because flies lay their eggs in the dirt.

Good luck, you can do it, it's just a little tedious.

Leanne

plantoneonme
06-03-2009, 01:36 PM
You probably have your container too wet. Do you have drainage holes? I did the same thing at first and simply mixed in some shredded dry paper (newspaper, junk mail etc). Kim

Blossome
06-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Thank you all for the good advice, they are no longer trying to escape. Last night I was in a panic, so I mixed the food in a little. When I came in they were all back in there bedding. I also emptied what compost tea I had into the garden. I think the heat help to dry it out. I did take off the lid and let all the little gnats out. I'll put the lid back on tonight.