PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my Angora Rabbit

kbreske
06-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Hi! I have an English Angora rabbit. I just got her 1 month ago, she just turned 1 yr on May 22nd. I have never owned a rabbit or been around them much. I got her for a pet and the wool she produces. I am also a spinner, crocheter and knitter. My problem is I'm having trouble with her eating her timothy hay and I'm worried that she is not chewing enough to keep her teeth worn down. She eats her pellets (1/4 cup), greens from the yard, she loves the birdseed rolls (not daily) and gets 1 small peeled carrot as her nightly treat. She will eat the hay if I wrap a dandelion leaf around it but I don't see that she will "choose" to eat her hay and I don't want her to get wool block. Should I try a different brand of hay or mix it with some alfalfa? Should I mix her hay with something else? I've tried sneaking it in with the greens but she mostly eats around it. Does the hay go bad? Maybe i purchased a bad tasting bag? I'm just concerned because I read that hay is a very important part of their diet. Thank you in advance for any help/advice. Maybe I'm trying too hard. I just want her to be happy and healthy.

Aspen
06-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I have good luck with orchard grass instead of Timothy hay. My Angora, Angel, is prone to ileus, which is what wool block really is. The key is to watch her toileting habits closely. What does her stool look like? Her stool should be firm pellets. Watch for a decrease in her normal amount of stool. Also, watch her water intake and make sure she isn't getting dehydrated.

Angel has had to have intradermal infusions of lactated Ringer's solution when she quits drinking. She gets a dose of Reglan daily, which keeps the peristaltic contractions of her digestive tract moving. If you are worried about wool block or you note a decrease in stool or the stool looks abnormal, stop the pellets and increase her greens.

Make sure you handle her daily and keep her groomed. Becoming familiar with her normal behavior will let you know if she doesn't feel good.

Angel is a satin Angora. My other bunny is an English Angora and he does not have any digestive difficulties. I don't know if it is a difference in their wool or just these particular rabbits.

I love having house rabbits. They are fun to cuddle and play with. They have such wonderful personalities and are truly individual. I have one other rabbit, a mini Rex. His name is Rascal and he is adorable. Check out my blog for photos of my bunnies and other critters. Good luck with your rabbit.

http://life-is-a-chair-of-bowlies.blogspot.com/